There is little design artifice to this device. This EMILY (Emergency Integrated Lifesaving LanYard is a $3500 robot-lifeguard purchased for Malibu lifeguards. Remote-controlled and capable of 28 mph, product testing confirms that EMILY just might be smarter than David Hasselhoff and more buoyant than Pamela Anderson.
Popsci lays out how it works:
Step 1 Ready for action
EMILY patrols solo or is thrown into the sea from the beach, a helicopter or a ship.
Step 2 Search and rescue
EMILY's sonar finds a distressed swimmer, and it jets toward him at 28 mph.
Step 3 Mission accomplished
A swimmer holds onto EMILY as it gently brings him to shore or waits for a lifeguard. The robot can travel up to 80 miles on a single battery charge.
- Tethered Buoy Sleep Mode, 100+ hours
- Battery Storage – 577 watt/hours
- 5 mph Patrol – 518 minutes
- Speed – programmable for max of 40 mph
- 35 minute duration at 40 mph max speed
- Weight – 25 pounds
- Craft Dimensions – 54" Length, 16" Width, 8" Height
- Payload Capacity – additional up to 15 pounds
- 80 pound buoyancy
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades